I have met and heard the tragic stories of many parents. PA is a function, by and large, of a custodial ex-partner, although some alienation can start while the couple is still together.

This blog is a story of experiences and observations of dysfunctional Family Law (FLAW), an arena pitting parent against parent, with children as the prize. Due to the gender bias in Family Law, that I have observed, this Blog has evolved from a focus solely on PA to one of the broader Family/Children's Rights area and the impact of Feminist mythology on Canadian Jurisprudence and the Divorce Industry.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alec Baldwin on 20/20 September 19, 2008

I have been waiting for Mr. Baldwin's book for sometime. There are other very good professional books out there describing Parental Alienation and its impacts on children and the target parent, thank goodness. This one though may be a watershed in that it is from someone who has access to the mass media and is himself a victim. I though he handled himself well despite the tone of the questions from Diane Sawyer. He clearly stated his phone message to Ireland was inappropriate but also made certain everyone understood it was supposed to be private and any broader public damage to his daughter was the result of Basinger's release of it to the tabloid gossip site TNZ. Yes I know he didn't say Basinger but this is not rocket science and you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out. That it became public shows clearly that Basinger doesn't much care about the damage to her daughter only that the target gets screwed again, and again and again. I found it interesting that someone of his celebrity and money was treated by the family law system in the same way as just us regular schmucks. He did have the ability to keep going back and afford assessors but still suffered delays for no good reason in having proper access/custody of his daughter. The lip service paid by the Academic they had on stating that using PA as a weapon to cover up abuse is self-serving misinformation. She loses any credibility with those of us who know different from direct experience. If these critics ever became a target they would then know clearly the damage inflicted on many people including those in the target's extended family. I'll have more on them later when I've done more research on their credentials and biases. I've asked ABC News for the George Washington University Law Professors credentials. This is so far the only information I can find on this person. Joan S Meier, Clinical Professor of Law, Law School, Legal Clinics, 2000 G St NW, Washington, DC 20052 Ph. (202) 994-5794 jmeier@gwu.edu Her information is incredibly inaccurate and she is way out of touch with family court decisions that give custody in the vast majority of cases to the mother and turn the father into nothing more than an ATM. If it is just opinion why ask her? It reeks of bias. More on her later as I do further research. I will write GWU to see if they allow their profs to provide unfounded, unresearched opinions such as this. It certainly doesn't help their credibility. So far I've found this at http://news.mensactivism.org/node/9673 and their appears to be much more.

...The following week the Post ran an opposing editorial (2) by Joan S. Meier, faculty member at George Washington University Law School. The op-ed contains numerous one-sided statements and fabrications about child abuse. She repeatedly uses the phrase "dangerous fathers" and "violent and abusive fathers," without ever mentioning the problem of "violent and abusive mothers."

According to the US Administration for Children and Families:

Without providing any research evidence, Meier goes on to make the improbable claims that most custody disputes "arise in the context of mothers seeking to end abuse or protect their children" and "mothers have few means of protecting their children from dangerous fathers". Meier's statements represent a serious misrepresentation of a well-known government statistics, and are highly defamatory of fathers.

Meier's falsehoods violate George Washington University's research misconduct policy (3) which states:

"Research misconduct includes, without limitation, fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism in proposing, performing, or reviewing research or in reporting research results. All employees or individuals associated with The George Washington University should report observed, suspected, or apparent misconduct in research to the Associate Vice President for Health Research, Compliance and Technology Transfer."

George Washington University is in a unique position to influence Congress, including the upcoming VAWA renewal. We ask you to take a few moments of your time to contact the two following individuals at George Washington University with a polite note urging GW Law School to take action about the numerous fabrications and misrepresentations by Professor Joan Meier in her April 13 editorial in the Washington Post, as well as her formal articles and law papers:

  1. Frederick Lawrence, Dean of the GW Law School: Email: flawrence-at-law.gwu.edu
  2. Anne Hirschfeld, Associate Vice President Office of Health and Technology Transfer: Email: resanh-at-gwumc.edu

---------------------------------

1 David Levy's original editorial: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/04/AR2008040402922.html

2 Joan Meier's response: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/11/AR2008041103152.html

3 GW University Research Misconduct Policy: http://my.gwu.edu/files/policies/ResearchMisconductPolicy.pdf

...more to come

1 comment:

Marianne said...

While I do agree that the family court system in North America has tended to side with the mothers and that Parental Alienation has turned up in many of these cases, separating fathers from children, PLEASE be aware that the system is evolving and Parental Alienation is also affecting the mothers as well who are now targeted and victimized parents. I am a TG (alienated mother) who, like Mr. Baldwin, still continues to strive to save my children to treat the syndrome they have developed and will never give up to reunite with them. I have fought for greater than two years but, in my case, money, was a huge factor. I left the relationship without collecting sufficient child support and the father is a wealthier person who could afford legal representation. I have recently found Dr. Glenn Caddy and a good attorney in Toronto to help me and I only hope I can feed this fight economically, doing everything I can to save my boys. I have not seen them in 4 months and my heart breaks. I would wish dearly somehow to be in touch with Alec Baldwin as his lectures have been inspirational to me.

I have graduate degrees, I am a mediator, but I sacrificed my career when raising the boys and was bullied into acquiescing from fighting for greater support. I will never give up and continue to learn of how this criminal act of alienation works.

I realize you have many such letters to respond to, but your response would very much help me. I battle without the support of my own parents who have, in a tribal sense thrown me out and remain with my boys' father to be able to access the children.

Thank you, Alec for listening.
By the way, your Saturday Night Live Skit on French Teaching French is in my archives.

Marianne